Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Motorola’s Droid RAZR vs. Samsung’s Infuse 4G

I’ve had Motorola’s Droid RAZR for a few weeks now so feel comfortable commenting on the advantages and disadvantages relative to my previous phone (the Samsung Infuse 4G and Samsung Captivate).

Advantages

  1. Better Bluetooth stack. I believe it supports Bluetooth 4.0. Voice dialing works with my car stereo (JVC KD-A925BT) which wasn’t the case with the Infuse.
  2. Speed. The phone doesn’t get sluggish when I have a few apps open. 1GB of RAM and a dual core processor make the user experience much snappier.
  3. Podcasts. The native music app integrates podcast.com which seems to have a more recent (and larger) database of podcasts to choose from.
  4. Social Networking. The Droid RAZR supports more sites out-of-the-box: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Skype and YouTube.
  5. Verizon’s Network. This isn’t exactly exclusive to the RAZR but Verizon’s 4g network, at least at the time of this writing, runs circles around AT&T’s network. I’ve run numerous network speed tests in Seattle and Atlanta (the 2 cities I frequent) and get the same results every time. Verizon’s network is 3 to 5 times faster than AT&T’s network (4G LTE vs HSPA+). To stress how big the gap is, Verizon’s upload speeds are consistently faster than AT&T’s download speeds.

Disadvantages

  1. Camera quality. Indoor close up shots are much sharper on the Infuse than the RAZR. I truly miss the camera on the Samsung Infuse.
  2. Software Keyboard. I make a lot more mistakes on the RAZR than on the Infuse. It’s almost as if the keyboard is optimized for 1-handed typing; the left half of the keyboard is too far to the right. I’m already on my 2nd keyboard (SwiftKey X) but still seem to have this problem.
  3. Backup Assistant. I’d like to make sure I don’t lose my contacts if I switch to a different brand of phone (especially considering how fast the android ecosystem is evolving!) so have no desire to use Backup Assistant but can’t get rid of it. This wasn’t a problem with the Infuse.
  4. MotoBlur. They’ve done some things well (exchange email support, yahoo push support) but in general MotoBlur is more intrusive than Samsung’s TouchWiz.
  5. Notifications screen. This is the pull-down screen that displays notifications. Samsung phones include a set of controls that let you toggle Wireless, GPS, Bluetooth, etc... at the top of the notifications screen. The RAZR has no corresponding functionality.
  6. No text message preview. If there is only 1 text message the RAZR displays the sender; if there are more than 1 messages then the RAZR displays the number of unread messages. I prefer Samsung’s approach which displays the sender and the first part of each message as a separate notification.

2 comments :

  1. If you play music through the BT from your Razr, does it display the track information correctly? Also does it pair up well when you stop and get back in the car (without having to toggle BT on the phone or something).
    Thanks, Sean M

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't see the track information displayed while playing music but I didn't use the built-in media player so perhaps it does that.

    I had no problems with auto-connecting. In fact it worked better than my current Galaxy Nexus does.

    ReplyDelete